The following links could be useful to you as you plan your tour. Among the many links that we feel are important to you include sight-seeing references, travel services, and various associations that help preserve the natural beauty of our trips.
Like our Facebook Page: Get Out & Go Tours and stay notified of events and changes
- Great Allegheny Passage (Allegheny Trail Alliance)
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park
- Bike Washington Website (DC area trails information)
- Kathy Bilton's Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Page
- Yough Shore Inn (Boston, PA)
- Gunter Hotel (Frostburg, MD)
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Bikeflights, a cost effective way to ship your bike, or our rental bike, before/after a one-way tour.
- National Bicycle Tour Directors Association
- Catoctin Aqueduct Restoration Project (C&O Canal Mile 52) - Catoctin Creek aqueduct fell into the creek in 1973, after 50 years of neglect. The restoration project, resulted in an aqueduct to ride over, rather than the army bridge which had been in place for many years.
The project was completed in 2013.
- Kuriacose's C&O Canal Images - See the lock houses, aqueducts, and views along the Canal.
Other Trails, Other Companies
- Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (VA) - Paved rail-trail from suburban VA to DC
- Friends of the W&OD Trail - Information about the W&OD Trail
- Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (VA) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description
- Virginia Creeper Trail (VA) - 47 trestles in 35 miles with a 16 mile downhill segment making for an easy ride
- Virginia Creeper Trail (VA) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description
- New River Trail (VA) - 55 miles along the New River, with Shot Tower highlight mid-way
- New River Trail (VA) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description
- Greenbrier River Trail (WV) - 80 miles through rugged WV mountains along the Greenbriar River
- Blackwater Canyon Rail Trail (WV) - 10 miles from Thomas to Hendricks (1,229' downhill this direction)
- Blackwater Canyon Rail Trail (WV) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description
- Allegheny Highlands Rail Trail (WV) - A new trail segment through north, central WV, eventually to link other trails, that we explore
- Allegheny Highlands Rail Trail (WV) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description
- North Bend Rail Trail (WV) - 13 tunnels make continuous highlights on this ride
- Old Clark Inn, Marlinton, WV
(B&B along the Greenbriar River Trail that we use for our overnight in Marlinton)
- Cass Scenic Railway, Cass, WV - Scenic train to top of Bald Knob or Spruce Run, with bike return
- West Fork Rail Trail, Glady - Durbin, WV (21.7 mi) - Rails-to-Trails TrailLink Description (A future tour trail)
- West Virginia Rails-to-Trails Council
- West Virginia Bike - A fantastic compendium of great WV rides, including the rail trails
- Pocono Whitewater (Jim Thorpe and Lehigh Valley Rail Trails, rafting, kayaking)
We have linked to these sites, because they have linked to ours. You may find some of them to be of interest.
- To be linked here, link our site (www.getoutandgo.biz) then advise us of your link, and how you would describe your active tour related company
or club, and we will happily inlcude a link to your site in this space.
It must be relevant.
If you are interested in doing detailed planning for one of our tours, you may want to use Google Earth and detailed maps that describe our trips. To use this file, you need to install Google Earth. Once you have installed the program, simply import the file GAP.kmz.